- What is plagiarism?
- In simple terms, plagiarism is copying or stealing someone's work or ideas and passing that work off as your own.
- To avoid plagiarism, you must credit the source of the information.
The Most common Types of Plagiarism
1. Copying someone else's writing, math, art, research or project and claiming it as your own work
2. Not giving credit when using information found online or in books or other sources
3. Not putting a quotation in quotation marks and then citing the author
4. Not giving correct information for the source of something you have used
5. Changing the words in your quotation without changing the structure of the sentence and then not giving credit
6. Copying such a large amount of text that is makes up the majority of your paper whether you give credit or not
7. Using graphs or drawings without citing the source
8. Plagiarism can also occur with images, music, and videos
Check Out These Websites Concerning Plagiarism
- Plagerism.org (5 Stars)
- What is Plagiarism? (4.5 Stars)
- What Is and What Is Not Plagiarism (4.5 Start)
- Plagiarism Game (4 Stars)
Articles about Plagiarism for Teens
- Byrne, R. (2011, July). Tools for Tackling Plagiarism. School Library Journal, 57(7), 11. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspxdirect=true&db=voh&AN=62797358&site=src-live
- Silvester, N. (2004, Nov./Dec.). Before you turn it in. Writing for Teens, 27(3), 22 23. Retrieved from https://web.a.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail/detail?vid=6&sid=a1c03074-7d8f-4eb8-b013-c6c346108e0a%40sessionmgr4009&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#AN=14814984&db=aph
- Gabriel, T., & Brown, B. (2011, Oct 10). Generation Plagiarism. Junior Scholastic, 114(3), 6-8. Retrieved from http://web.b.ebscohost.com/src_ic/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?vid=4&sid=768a0fe3-bdf6-4d17-b25a-188dd26c3c23%40sessionmgr104
- Price, S. (2005, September 19). The PLagiarisM PROBLEM. Scholastic Scope, 54(2), 16-18. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=mih&AN=18222118&site=src-live
- Don't Be a Cheater. (2012, Feb 13). Scholastic News, 6. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=mih&AN=71728996&site=src-live
To access these articles, go to the Utah Online Library
If accessing the Utah Online library at home ask the librarian for the username and password.
Videos about Plagiarism